Before Your Surgery
We understand that preparing for a procedure may cause a few nervous moments, especially if you haven’t undergone surgery before. That’s perfectly normal. Here are a few tips to help make preparing for surgery a little easier.
- Have your doctor explain exactly what the surgical process is and why surgery is necessary, including all the risks and benefits of your surgery. You should also ask about any potential risks you might incur if you choose not to have surgery.
- Look at your work and family schedules to determine the best time to schedule your surgery.
- Attend all scheduled pre-surgical appointments and be prepared to provide medical information, such as a list of current medications and prior medical procedures.
- Ask your doctor what your expected recovery time is, and include your family and friends in your recovery plan.
- Make arrangements for a ride to and from the hospital, since you won’t be permitted to drive after having any surgery requiring anesthesia.
- Make sure you have a few ‘helpers’ nearby during the first few days after surgery in case you need assistance with errands or household chores.
- Choose one trusted person to help you make medical decisions.
- Know your rehabilitation and physical therapy plan ahead of time so you can make the necessary arrangements.
If you’re having foot or ankle surgery:
- Find out how to prepare your home before you have surgery.
- If you already have your own walker or crutches, bring them to surgery center to be fitted by your therapist.
- If you do not already have crutches or a walker, you and your therapist will help you determine which device is best for you.
- If you’re not able to safely use a walker or crutches, you might need either a wheelchair or a knee scooter—ask your doctor. Wheelchairs and knee scooters can be rented or purchased through a medical supply store (they aren’t available at the surgical center). Please check with your insurance carrier and medical supply store prior to your surgery if you think you might need this equipment.