DISCOGRAM OR DISCOGRAPHY
Discover the cause of your spinal pain with a minimally invasive Discogram or Discography procedure.
WHAT IS A DISCOGRAM OR DISCOGRAPHY?
This minimally invasive diagnostic procedure called a discogram or discography is performed to determine if one or more discs in the spinal column is the cause of a patient’s back pain. A special dye is injected into the suspected discs and then an x-ray is used to to examine the discs for injuries or issues, made visible by the dye. This imaging test may temporarily reproduce the patient’s back pain symptoms but generally subsides within several hours and the outcome should provide physicians with information to determine next steps in the patient’s path to healing.
QUICK FACTS ABOUT DISCOGRAM OR DISCOGRAPHY:
- Assesses whether or not a specific intervertebral disc is involved in causing your back pain symptoms
- Procedure is usually completed within one hour, depending on how many disc levels your doctor wants to evaluate
- Generally a one-time procedure purely for diagnostic purposes
- Procedure is minimally invasive and done on an outpatient basis
COMMON CONDITIONS TREATED BY DISCOGRAM OR DISCOGRAPHY:
- Chronic Back Pain
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Herniated Discs
- Bulging Discs